Do you have a self-love shirt? Self-love shirts are trendy these days, and I’m hopping on the bandwagon! Message shirts are everywhere now, and I’m glad to see shirts that help us not only own our happiness, but spread the message of self-love and self-care. Motivational quotes on a shirt are one way that younger generations have found to express themselves, and one of my favorite message shirts is the “heavy on the self-love” shirt.
There is what’s called a “self-love crisis” in the United States and around the world, according to The Body Shop Global Self Love index. The study reveals that nearly 1 in 2 people lack self-love. More than ever, more people need to go heavy on the self-love!
This site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website at no extra cost to you.
What does heavy on the self-love mean?
First of all, self-love is having an interest in your own well-being and happiness. People who love themselves often have high levels of self-esteem. Having self-love can mean different things for different people because we all have different ways to take care of ourselves and show ourselves love. Self-love is having a positive view of yourself. It’s accepting yourself for who you are and recognizing the beauty in your uniqueness.
I smile when I see “heavy on the self love” printed on apparel. I know the positive impact that loving yourself heavily can have. There is so much emotional support wrapped up in the message “heavy on the self love.” People who wear this phrase on a shirt, appear confident. I admire that confidence. I also admire their willingness to encourage people to love themselves a lot, too!
Why is self-love important?
Loving yourself is one of the keys to happiness. If you don’t love yourself, it’s pretty hard to love anyone else. Having love for yourself shows that you value your happiness, which positively impacts your mental health. Many people have been going through tough times lately and it can be difficult to have self-confidence and self-love when circumstances seem bleak. However, taking positive action towards improving your self-love can make a big difference in the quality of your life.
Why is self-love important? You can’t have a healthy love for others without love for yourself. So, being heavy on the self-love means improved relationships with others. Lower self-love has a negative impact on your relationship with others.
READ NEXT: Self-Care ABCs
How can you be heavy on the self-love?
1. Be honest with yourself
If you have struggled with loving yourself in the past, be honest about that. Recognize that you have low self-love and work harder to give yourself the best love possible. Loving yourself is an inside job, meaning that you’ll have to do the work yourself to improve how you feel about yourself. Think about why you have lower levels of self-love so that you can work on a plan to improve. If you’re honest with yourself about needing to improve how you feel about yourself, you’ll be headed in the direction that will have you grabbing that self love shirt in no time!
2. Forgive yourself
We all make mistakes. While it’s important to reflect on our mistakes, it’s not okay to dwell on the same mistake over and over. One way to show yourself love is to forgive yourself when you make a mistake, big or small. Use your mistakes as ways to learn and grow. Use my 8 self-forgiveness techniques that really work if you need help learning to forgive yourself.
3. Practice self-care regularly
Self-care is about doing what you need to take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Practicing self-care regularly is a great way to show yourself some love. It is necessary to prioritize your self-care if you truly want to be your best self. Life can sometimes be stressful, emotional, and overwhelming, but practicing self-care helps you to be able to deal with life’s stressors. These truths about self-care will help you as you navigate your self-care journey.
SHOP: Self-Love Journals
4. Stop comparing yourself to others
Social media networks make it easy for you to be envious of other people. As a human being, it’s natural to compare yourself to someone else, but it can be a dangerous game. Heavy social media users may find themselves longing for the lives that they think social media influencers have. We have to understand that things aren’t always what they appear to be. Stop comparing yourself to others and be more appreciative of your own journey.
5. Treat yourself like you treat your friends
We seem to be way nicer to our friends than we are to ourselves. Why is that? We are just as deserving of the love and grace that we show other people. Loving yourself means treating yourself nicely and being kind to yourself. You do that by doing things that make you happy and by taking care of your physical and mental health.
6. Say no more often
If you find yourself overcommitting to things that you don’t enjoy or simply don’t have the capacity to do, let me introduce you to a new word: no. Saying no to others and yes to yourself is a great way to show yourself some love. Every minute of your day does not need to be filled with things you don’t enjoy doing or things you really don’t want to. Choose yourself more often by saying no to some things that take up all of your time and emotional energy.
7. Eat healthier foods
Eating healthy foods is good for you. We know that, right? Show your body some love by incorporating healthier foods into your diet more often. Eating nutritious foods results in healthy skin and teeth and fuels your body with the energy that you need to get through your daily tasks. Not only does eating healthy benefit your physical health, but it improves your mental health, too.
8. Exercise more often
Exercising is essential to improving your physical and mental health. The Happiness Planner lists engaging in physical exercise as one of the ways to deepen your sense of self-love. Many people add exercise to their routines at the beginning of a new year, but it’s a good idea to add exercise to your regular routine. In this article, I explain more reasons why exercise is important.
9. Get your finances under control
According to Bankrate.com, the average American owes over $92,000. Imagine the stress and anxiety that comes along with that! Don’t make unnecessary purchases that you can’t afford. That will cause stress and overwhelm and will likely cause your self-love index score to go down!
10. Reward yourself when you do well
If I asked you at this very moment to tell me the last time you’ve rewarded yourself for doing well, what would be your response? Show yourself some love by rewarding yourself when you accomplish a good or even when you have a good day! There are several small ways to reward yourself without spending a lot of money. Rewarding yourself is a way of celebrating yourself, which is a huge part of self-love.
READ NEXT: Self-Care Box Ideas
Heavy on the self-love quotes
Here are some famous quotes about self-love:
A Guide to Self-Love by Cherith Fluker
“Talk to yourself like someone you love.” —Brené Brown
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” —Buddha
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” —Lucille Ball
“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” ―Oscar Wilde
“You have to believe in yourself when no one else does – that makes you a winner right here.” —Venus Williams
“If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” —Charles Bukowski
“Love yourself unconditionally, just as you love those closest to you despite their faults.” —Les Brown
“Loving yourself isn’t vanity; it’s sanity.” —Katrina Mayer
“Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” —Beau Taplin
“Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Fall in love with the path of deep healing. Fall in love with becoming the best version of yourself but with patience, with compassion, and respect to your own journey.” —S. McNutt
Looking for a self-love shirt?
So, are you ready to shout your love for yourself from the rooftops? That might be a little weird, huh? Good thing those message shirts I mentioned earlier are so popular, right? Here are some of my favorite “heavy on the self love” shirts and hoodies.
Can movies help with self-love?
If you enjoy watching movies, there are several that may encourage you to love yourself more. These self-love movies have underlying messages and themes that may inspire you to put yourself first more often.
What are some strategies for improving self-esteem?
Here are some tips and strategies for overcoming low self-love and improving self-esteem:
- Challenge negative self-talk: Pay attention to your inner dialogue and identify negative thoughts or self-critical statements. Replace them with positive and affirming thoughts. Practice self-compassion and speak to yourself as you would to a supportive friend.
- Celebrate your strengths and accomplishments: Make a list of your strengths, talents, and past achievements. Recognize and appreciate your abilities and the things you have accomplished. Celebrate even the small victories and milestones along the way.
- Practice self-care: Engage in activities that promote self-care and self-nurturing. Take care of your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. This can include activities like exercising, eating nutritious foods, getting enough sleep, practicing mindfulness or meditation, and engaging in hobbies or activities that bring you joy.
- Set realistic goals and take action: Set small, achievable goals for yourself and take consistent steps towards achieving them. Accomplishing goals boosts self-esteem and provides a sense of accomplishment. Break larger goals into smaller, manageable tasks to make progress more attainable.
- Surround yourself with positive influences: Surround yourself with supportive and positive people who uplift and encourage you. Avoid toxic relationships or situations that bring you down. Seek out mentors or role models who inspire you and can provide guidance and support.
- Practice self-acceptance: Embrace your flaws and imperfections as part of what makes you unique. Accept that nobody is perfect and that it’s okay to make mistakes. Treat yourself with kindness, forgiveness, and understanding. Embrace self-acceptance as a foundation for self-love.
- Engage in activities you enjoy: Make time for activities that bring you joy, whether it’s pursuing a hobby, spending time in nature, reading, listening to music, or any other activity that makes you happy. Engaging in activities you enjoy can boost your mood and increase self-esteem.
- Seek support: If low self-love and self-esteem persist despite your efforts, consider seeking support from a therapist, counselor, or support group. They can provide guidance, tools, and strategies to help you build self-love and improve self-esteem.
Having a healthy dose of self-love leads to a healthier, happier life. When you love yourself, you accept yourself for who you are and go forward in life feeling more confident and ready to reach your goals. Self-love is an important ingredient in living your best life.
READ NEXT: How to Practice Self Love