Prioritizing self care is easier said than done. This is especially true when your schedule is booked and busy. But if you’re like me, it’s a little easier to do things that are scheduled on a calendar. Having a schedule is one of the simple ways that I keep myself together in the midst of all the chaos going on around me. If you struggle to stick to a self-care routine, try using a printable self care calendar to help you put your wellness needs on your daily to-do list.
Even if you’re more of a digital calendar type person, a printable calendar can be a great way to ensure that you’re getting in some self-care activities every single day. I’m a firm believer that doing small things on a consistent basis can make a big difference in the long run.
This post contains affiliate links. That means I will receive a small commission for any purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
Why do I need a calendar that focuses on activities for myself?
If you’re reading this, it’s likely because you struggle with committing to make time for yourself. Forbes.com Senior Contributor Mark Murphy states, “if you want to achieve a goal, you need to write it down.” So, if you have a goal of improving your wellness habits, using a self care calendar is a great way to get started.
We often have great intentions when it comes to prioritizing our health and well-being. But we can easily get so wrapped up in taking care of our family members and work obligations that we put ourselves on the back burner. Having a printable calendar can serve as a habit tracker to keep you accountable for just how much (or how little) time you actually spend tending to your personal needs.
How can I incorporate self care into my daily routine?
When you have a busy schedule, you have to be creative about making time for self care. Nonetheless, self care is one of those important things that you simply can’t afford to skip. When you have a million things to do, you’ll probably never find the perfect time to schedule your “me time”, but you deserve to take time out to focus on your health and well-being.
How do I make a self care calendar?
Making a calendar for wellness activities is the perfect way to be more intentional about prioritizing yourself. A monthly calendar that lists various activities and tasks on different days can keep you from making excuses when it comes to doing something for yourself.
1. Write a list of things you enjoy doing. Include a variety of things, big and small. Make sure to consider physical, mental, and emotional activities so that you can be attentive to all of your wellness needs.
2. Think about how you can realistically incorporate activities into your schedule.
3. Focus on quality, not quantity.
4. Get a blank monthly calendar. (A digital download is perfect.)
5. Add self care activities to the calendar.
6. Stick to the schedule.
7. Celebrate your success!
You need to take several things into consideration as you list activities for your calendar:
- Include activities that you can do from the comfort of your own home. Of course, they don’t all have to be things that you do at home, but you don’t want to overcomplicate things. When you make self-care complicated, you begin to neglect it. Try to stick to simple activities.
- Consider fun things. Don’t leave out those activities that bring you joy.
- Don’t just focus on physical activities. Make sure you include activities that help you take care of your mind, too.
- Don’t forget the little things. The “go big or go home” approach doesn’t apply to self care. Small actions can have a big impact, so don’t underestimate the power of a small activity.
- If you’re in a relationship, focus on self care for couples, too. A healthy relationship helps you to be a healthier you.
- Think about self-care ideas that you love. Getting ideas from other people is great. But self care is not one-size-fits-all. Make sure to include things that truly help you feel better.
Sample activities for your calendar
Are you wondering what kind of activities to add to your printable calendar? Here are some ideas:
- Take a bubble bath. How often do you really slow down and take a nice warm bath without any interruptions? Put a day on your calendar and commit to focusing on a relaxing bath so you can escape from it all for a little while.
- Take a social media break. Social media can be fun and informative, but it can also be annoying and stressful. Schedule a few hours, or even a day where you take a break from the noise of social media.
- Refill your water bottle. When we get tired or stressed out, it’s easy to grab coffee or energy drinks, but sometimes, refilling your water bottle is just enough to do the trick. Being properly hydrated has so many benefits that often get overlooked.
- Have some herbal tea. In addition to several health benefits, some herbal teas have relaxing properties that are great for an evening of self-care. Explore some different teas and find the ones that you enjoy most and keep them on hand for when you have some extra time to brew and enjoy a cup.
- Snack on some fresh fruits. Being intentional about grabbing healthy snacks can make a big difference in your energy levels throughout the day. Before you grab that bag of chips, consider some fresh fruits.
- Do some deep breathing. Deep breathing exercises are known to help calm anxiety. Urbanbalance.com lists several benefits of deep breathing that just might convince you to add a few intentional breathing sessions to your wellness calendar!
- Schedule a spa day. It doesn’t take much convincing for me to add a spa day to my calendar! I love being able to relax and get a massage or facial or just sit and sip fruit-infused water in the quiet room at the spa. If this sounds like a great day to you, schedule a spa day on your calendar soon.
- Refrain from unhealthy foods all day. Eating unhealthy foods on a regular basis can be detrimental to your health. Not only can it lead to weight gain, but several other health issues can result. You can start healthy eating habits by starting small things like choosing a day or two where you refrain from eating unhealthy foods all day. As you master that goal, you can increase the number of days that you focus on eating healthier.
- Do a coloring page. Coloring isn’t just fun for kids. It can be very therapeutic for adults, too. There are lots of adult coloring books available to help you clear your mind and get some calming downtime.
- Do some online shopping. A little retail therapy (within your means) is always fun. Treat yourself to something that you’ve been wanting (and that you can afford).
- Plan a wine night. If you love wine, schedule some time to try out some different wines. You can light candles and make cheese and fruit board and enjoy a quality evening at home watching television, listening to music, or spending time with friends or family. A glass of wine is a great way to unwind from a chaotic day or week.
- Repeat some positive affirmations. Positive affirmations can be uplifting and empowering and can change the trajectory of your day and possibly your outlook on a certain situation.
- Cook a new recipe. Cooking can be a fun and creative way to enjoy an afternoon or evening. It can even be more fun to try a new recipe with friends. Cooking your favorite meal is even better when you have great cookware!
- Learn a new skill. (YouTube is a great place to learn for FREE!) If there is a new skill or hobby that you’ve been wanting to try, stop procrastinating and put it on your calendar! There are lots of resources available online to learn new things. YouTube and SkillShare are my favorite resources to learn new skills like crafting, photography, writing, and so much more.
- Make a self care kit. If you want to make sure that you’re ready whenever you have a free moment on your calendar, go ahead and make a kit with all the items you need for a relaxing evening. That way, you won’t have to waste time gathering items as you prepare to enjoy your much-needed break from your responsibilities. You can also get premade subscription boxes from places like Therabox.
- Study a new language. A great way to focus on yourself is learning a new language. It’s a fun way to add a new skill to your resume. There are several apps available that make learning a new language more convenient than before.
- Perform an act of kindness. Being kind to someone else somehow has a positive impact on you. Be intentional about finding ways to perform simple acts of kindness throughout the month.
- Incorporate regular exercise into your schedule. Exercise should be a part of your daily self care checklist, but if it isn’t, don’t fret. Find ways to begin adding exercise into your schedule so that you’re moving more and more each day. Exercise is one of my favorite ways to focus on myself because there are so many benefits associated with it.
- Do a face mask. Doing a face mask at home is relaxing and your skin can also reap the benefits of this personal care activity. Make sure to do a little research so that you find the products that will work best with your skin type.
- Check your progress towards your self care goals. Having goals is great, but you have to be diligent about checking your progress towards your goals. Keep yourself accountable by checking in periodically to see if you are on track to reach the goals that you’ve set for yourself.
- Light your favorite candle. Candles are the perfect addition to your self-care routine. Burning candles help to create a serene environment that helps you to relax, which is especially important during meditation. Candles with calming scents can help decrease anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Take a long walk. Taking a long leisurely walk is a great activity for some alone time. It gives you a moment to slow down and just take in the sights and sounds of nature. As often as you can, try to get outside for a nice long walk.
These are just a few suggestions of activities that you can include in your daily planner as you work to include more self-focused activities to your day. You can use these activities, or you can choose activities that you enjoy more. The fun thing about your wellness calendar is that you can make it your own by customizing the activities to fit your needs.
Printable Self Care Calendar
Creating your own calendar with activities that you love is best, but if you want to get started on your journey right away, you can choose a printable self care calendar. You can use pre-made calendars to come up with ideas and then create a customized version of it that includes your preferences.