Drink more water is probably the first tip you see when you’re looking for ways to stay hydrated and be healthier. If you’re like me, you may be options for hydrating drinks besides water. Well, there are several things you can drink besides water to stay hydrated, and I’m sharing 9 of them with you today!
It’s so easy (and often more appealing) to grab beverages that contain caffeine and sports drinks. But, truth is, some of those drinks lack the nutrients your body needs and can, in fact, lead to dehydration. Additionally, the sugar content that some drinks contain can make those drinks bad choices, especially when it comes to hydration.
This post contains affiliate links. That means I will receive a small commission for any purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
How can I stay hydrated without drinking water?
When trying to stay hydrated without water, I think it’s important to recognize that water really is king. There’s just no getting around that. So the question isn’t so much “what hydrates better than water” but what can keep me equally as hydrated.
There might be times when you just want a break from the monotony of water or, you simply don’t have access to water at the time you need to quench your thirst. So, I want to share with you some alternatives to help you stay hydrated without drinking water.
Staying properly hydrated is a great form of self-care.
What are some things I can drink besides water to stay hydrated?
I spent some time researching what drinks hydrate you best. Here’s what made the list:
1. Chia Water
Chia water is chia seeds dropped into a glass of water. Chia seeds absorb over 10X their weight in liquid, which makes chia water a great beverage for hydration. Additionally, chia water is very filling, making it a great drink of choice for those trying to eat less.
In addition to hydration, chia seeds also retain electrolytes. So, not only does chia water hydrate you, but it also helps to prolong hydration. Other benefits of chia water include improved heart health and smoother digestion. These reasons alone are enough to convince me to grab some chia seeds on my next shopping trip! Check out this article from Good Housekeeping for more health benefits of chia water.
The Primo Water blog also lists several other benefits of Chia seed water that may convince you to chug some the next time you feel dehydrated and want something other than plain water.
2. Herb-Infused Teas
I recently discovered my love for herb-infused teas. This is one of my favorite healthy drinks besides water. In addition to helping you stay hydrated, herb-infused teas also improve blood flow and can rid your body of toxins. Some herbal teas can also boost your immune system.
There are several recipes available for making your own teas, but my favorite brand is Twinings Herbal Tea bags. These are my favorite tea bags.
I also have this electric tea kettle, which I absolutely love.
3. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber juice is one of the best hydrating drinks for summer. There are numerous articles that talk about the naturally hydrating characteristic of cucumber juice. Cucumber juice is packed with nutrients and minerals and has been known to help clear up skin and reduce blood pressure.
I found these recipes for cucumber juice on the Healthy Recipes 101 website.
4. Coconut Water
Coconut water is on the list of hydrating drinks with electrolytes. In addition to hydration, Web MD says that coconut water is great for curbing hunger, too. Though it contains sugar, coconut water is another beverage you can drink to stay hydrated.
5. Aloe Vera Juice
I’ve never tasted aloe vera juice personally, but it kept coming up in my searches for hydrating beverages. The aloe plant is very dense in water content, so I was not surprised that it can be used to prevent dehydration.
Healthline.com lists 8 benefits of drinking aloe vera juice, and hydration is at the top of the list. So, if you’re looking for a source of hydration and something that benefits your body in multiple other ways, grab some aloe vera juice!
6. Fruit Smoothies
If you’re looking for a delicious healthy drink besides water, you should try a fruit smoothie. Sipping on a fruit smoothie hydrates your body mainly because the fruits and vegetables often used in fruit smoothies contain large amounts of water. Smoothies are easy to make and are an excellent way to prevent dehydration.
7. Vegetable Juice
In addition to being a good source of vitamins and minerals, vegetable juice is great for hydration. Vegetable juice can quench your thirst and is healthier than some other beverages that we grab.
8. Oat or Almond Milk
Oat milk and almond milk are popular alternatives to cow’s milk. These dairy-free options are a way to stay hydrated when you’re tired of drinking water or if you just need to switch it up a bit.
9. Lemonade (Just Water, Lemon, Stevia)
Lemonade is a very popular beverage and it’s one that has many benefits. This is one of those drinks that hydrate you best because the acid in lemonade stimulates salivation, which can make you feel hydrated.
One caveat to this is that you want to keep your lemonade to simply water, lemon, and stevia. Adding unnecessary sugars and flavors to your lemonade might make an unhealthy option for staying hydrated.
What Else Can You Drink Besides Water to Stay Hydrated?
You might be shocked to learn that milk has been identified as a beverage that promotes long-term fluid retention. This means that milk is an excellent choice as an alternative to water for hydration. This study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition identifies milk (whole milk and skim milk) as having a high water content, making it an adequate alternative to water.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this article is not to say that one of these options is better than the other. It’s simply to provide information about other drinks that can hydrate your body just as adequately as a glass of water.
It’s tempting to grab wines, sodas, and sports drinks, but these options often have a high sugar content and lack the nutrients that your body needs to function properly.
- 8 Most Hydrating Drinks Besides Water – Here are the 8 most hydrating drinks besides water that you must have to keep yourself energized and active through the day. (food.ndtv.com)
- What Counts as Water? How to Stay Hydrated – Water doesn’t get the same media attention as green tea, antioxidants, and the latest fad diets. Yet it plays a much more critical part in our daily lives and our bodies. (webmd.com)
- The Best and Worst Drinks to Keep You Hydrated – Learn the truth about tea, coffee, juice and more. (tasteofhome.com)
- 7 Ways to Stay Hydrated (That Don’t Involve Drinking Water) (medexpress.com)
- Best drinks besides water – Researchers checked out how popular beverages stack up against H20 when it comes to hydration. Here are the results. (mensjournal.com)
- Dr. Fernstrom: Hate drinking water? 7 delicious ways to stay hydrated – Plus, the NBC News health editor dispels the myth that you must drink eight glasses of water a day. (nbcnews.com)
- What Is the Healthiest Drink Besides Water? – Looking for healthy drinks besides water? Here are tips for making healthy, low-calorie beverage choices as well as what drinks to avoid. (medicinenet.com)
- 8 Ways to Stay Hydrated Besides Water – Jul 22, 2021 … 8 Ways to Stay Hydrated Besides Drinking Water · Eat your vegetables. · Take advantage of summer fruit. (health.usnews.com)
- How to Rehydrate: 5 Helpful Tips – In certain situations, such as after strenuous exercise or illness, it’s crucial to rehydrate. This article discusses the signs and symptoms of dehydration, as well as the 5 best ways to rehydrate quickly. (healthline.com)
- These Drinks Are Best (And Worst!) For Quenching Your Thirst And Keeping You Hydrated – Drink up! (delish.com)
- Water and Healthier Drinks – Getting enough water every day is important for your health. Learn how to drink more water and choose healthier drinks. (cdc.gov)