It can be incredibly difficult to forgive when people hurt your feelings or do you wrong. Similarly, it can be hard to forgive yourself when you make a mistake. But we know that forgiveness is the right thing to do. The deeper the hurt or wrongdoings, the harder it is to ignore the pain. If you have tried, unsuccessfully, to let go of hurt and pain, consider forgiveness journal prompts as your next course of action.
Journaling is one of my favorite self-care activities. Getting your thoughts from your head to paper is a great way to begin releasing feelings of unforgiveness. The negative thoughts associated with hurt can cloud your mind and keep you from living a life of peace.
This site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website at no extra cost to you.
What is journaling?
Do not be intimidated when you hear the word journaling. This is simply the act of writing down your feelings. The University of Rochester has done extensive research that supports journaling as an effective way to confess your struggles and begin taking control of your mental health.
Keeping a journal can help you forgive yourself or someone else. Writing down your feelings and reflecting upon them allows you to put your thoughts in perspective and prioritize your actions. It will help you see that letting go of hurtful thoughts can help you live your best life.
What are some effective forgiveness journal prompts?
There will always be the need to forgive yourself or others. Humans make mistakes. Holding grudges associated with mistakes and wrongdoings gets your happiness and mental health. Here are some journal prompts that can help you begin to forgive.
Journal prompts to forgive someone who has hurt you
- What does forgiveness mean to you?
- Does someone need to say they are sorry for you to forgive them? Why or why not?
- Why is it so hard to give this person?
- What was your relationship like with this person before they did you wrong?
- How is holding on to the pain of unforgiveness affecting your life?
- What are the benefits of forgiving someone?
- Write about a time you forgave someone. How did that turn out?
- Write down all the feelings you feel when you think of the person that you are angry with.
- Are you more upset with the person or the action? Are people defined by a single action?
- Why is it so hard to forgive others?
- Have you ever made the same mistake that the other person made?
Self-forgiveness journal prompts
- What is one thing you need to forgive yourself for?
- Is the mistake you made different from any mistake that any other person has made?
- Have you accepted responsibility for your actions?
- Have you forgiven someone else for making the same mistake that you made?
- How would your life be different if you had not made the mistake you made?
- How will your life be different when you forgive yourself and move forward?
- What lessons did you learn from the mistake you made?
- Why is it so hard to forgive yourself?
How can writing in a journal help me forgive?
Writing in a journal helps you process your thoughts and feelings. By reflecting on your writing, you are able to better understand why you are feeling the way you do. A better understanding of your feelings may help you take the steps necessary to overcome the hurt.
Journaling is not an instant fix to your problems, but it is a coping mechanism that can lead you towards the healing that you need to protect your mental health and live a life of peace.
Best Journals for Self-Care
Journaling is one of my favorite self-care activities. It’s also a great way help you begin to move towards forgiveness. The key to making journaling a habit is to find a journal that you love. One of the first things I look for in a journal is one that is good quality, like this gratitude journal from Promptly Journals. Use code CHERITH15 to save 15% off your order.
I also love this guided self love journal that is filled with prompts and practices to help improve self-esteem and self-confidence. Use code CHERITH15 to save 15%!