One of the best ways to reconnect as a couple is to take a short trip together, giving you time to rest and reconnect. Today I’ve put together my list of best destinations for couples to provide you with some inspiration for your next getaway.
Traveling together is one of the many ways that couples can keep their relationship fun and interesting. Not only do you spend time together when you’re on a trip, but you also get to experience adventures that you can talk about for years to come.
This site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website at no extra cost to you.
Why couples should travel together.
If you need a reason to travel together (I know I don’t), here are a few that might have you grabbing your calendar as soon as you finish reading this:
- Improved communication with your partner
- New and exciting experiences together
- Improved sexual relationship
- Creating lasting memories
- Increased romance in your relationship
- Reduced stress levels
- Improved closeness between you and your partner
- Keeps things fun
- Gives you something to look forward to together
How to choose destinations for your time together.
Several things need to be considered when planning your next couples trip. First and foremost is your budget. A vacation is a great idea, but only if it doesn’t create a hardship for you later. You should have a serious discussion about what you can afford before booking accommodations or purchasing plane tickets!
Another thing to consider is the time of year that you’ll be traveling. Make sure that you plan accordingly. For example, if you and your partner hate snow, you don’t want to plan to travel to a location that is known for snow during the time of year that you’re planning to travel.
Ultimately, you want to choose a place that interests you and your partner. This is a couples trip. Make every effort to agree on the location of your vacation so you can have the best time while you’re away.
Here are other things to consider when selecting a destination:
- The type of experience that you want to have. Do you want to travel to the mountains or is the beach more your thing? Or, do you want to travel to a big city? Maybe you want to go camping?
- The duration of your trip. Think about how long you’ll be able to stay before choosing a destination. You don’t want to choose a destination that is super far away if you won’t have time to actually enjoy your time there.
- Reviews and recommendations. If you’re traveling to a destination you haven’t been to before, check out some reviews and recommendations online. It’s also a good idea to ask friends or family members who may have traveled to that destination. They may be able to provide valuable insight regarding the destination that you are considering.
- Vaccination requirements. Do your research to determine whether or not there are vaccination requirements for your selected destination. You want to avoid any obstacles that might prevent you from being able to travel.
The main thing to remember is to choose a location based on your and your spouse’s desires. The final decision about where to travel is yours.
Ideas for great destinations for couples.
If you’re not sure about where to go on your next trip, you’re in luck. I’m here to help you out. I’m sharing some suggestions for places that you’ll want to add to your list of places to travel for your next few getaways.
Situated along the northern border of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, Tennessee is a popular destination for couples who love nature. You can spend the day hiking or biking. Then, you can relax beside the river, and then maybe head out on the town to enjoy the nightlife.
With several romantic cabins, hotels, and villas, you’re bound to find the perfect place for some rest, relaxation, and romance for your next getaway.
Read Next: Best Time of Year to Visit Dollywood
Napa Valley, California
A trip to California’s Wine Country is the perfect option for couples looking to escape the reality of their day-to-day life. Take a guided tour of local vineyards, and savor in a wine tasting experience together. With luxury hotel options, spas and gourmet dining, a trip to Napa Valley involves far more than just drinking wine. (Although drinking wine in Napa sounds lovely, doesn’t it?)
The natural setting here offers the perfect escape from our connected lives and will leave you refreshed when you return to reality. Start planning a romantic itinerary for you and your partner’s next vacation.
Orange Beach, Alabama is one of my favorite beach towns. That’s primarily because of the beautiful white-sand beaches and the opportunities to soak up some sun by the gulf with your sweetheart.
Minutes away from Gulf State National Park, there are many options for romantic walks, long talks, and lots of quality time relaxing on the beach. You can also find some delicious restaurants, local live music, and fun water activities if that interests you more.
Charleston, South Carolina
Take in the stunning mansions and cobbled walkways of Charleston, which will make you feel like you’ve escaped our modern times. Enjoy a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride and sumptuous dining options in this city which makes the perfect weekend getaway for couples.
The city features some great art galleries and shops for browsing. For history lovers, you can spend time exploring the homes of the past and Fort Sumter. If you enjoy shopping for local goods, check out the Charleston City Market. After you relax a little, you can head out to one of the local beaches.
Forbes.com lists some wonderful ideas for a romantic weekend in Charleston to help you plan the perfect vacation.
Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
With celebrities regularly visiting Martha’s Vineyard, this has become a secret escape for the rich and famous. Martha’s Vineyard is located about eight miles from Cape Cod and offers a laid-back atmosphere. This is the perfect choice for a long weekend away, especially in the off-season.
Enjoy the delicious local food and the low-key atmosphere of the town. Martha’s Vinyard is a great place to relax and take your time to reconnect as a couple.
The oldest city in Georgia, located about 100 miles south of Charleston, Savannah offers southern charm mixed with a more eccentric atmosphere. There are plenty of modern cafes and quirky stores in Savannah, and you can enjoy an evening of ghost hunting through the graveyards if you are looking for a memorable date night!
Enjoy the antebellum architecture and the historic district here, which you can spend your days and nights walking around arm in arm.
San Francisco, California
San Francisco will keep you both entertained throughout your visit with its amazing views and landmarks throughout the city. Enjoy strolling across the Golden Gate Bridge or take a sunset cruise underneath on the water. A Cable Car tour of the city is always fun for first-time visitors, and by night explore San Francisco’s extensive dining options and fantastic seafood.
For a daytime date, enjoy spending time in the San Francisco Botanical Garden and make sure you don’t miss the sea lions at Pier 39! The city offers the perfect mix of escape and entertainment for couples looking for a break from their day-to-day lives.
Additional destinations that are great for couples
Here are some additional destinations for couples to consider for their next romantic getaway:
- Paris, France: Known as the “City of Love,” Paris offers iconic landmarks, charming streets, and exquisite cuisine, making it a dream destination for couples.
- Santorini, Greece: This Greek island is famous for its stunning sunsets, whitewashed buildings, and breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea, providing a romantic setting for couples.
- Venice, Italy: With its gondola rides along the canals, picturesque bridges, and romantic ambiance, Venice is a timeless destination for couples seeking a romantic escape.
- Bali, Indonesia: This tropical paradise offers beautiful beaches, lush landscapes, and luxurious resorts, creating a romantic backdrop for couples to unwind and reconnect.
- Maldives: Known for its pristine white-sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and overwater bungalows, the Maldives offers seclusion and luxury for a romantic getaway.
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia: This remote island paradise boasts turquoise lagoons, stunning coral reefs, and luxurious resorts, providing couples with a romantic and idyllic setting.
- Amalfi Coast, Italy: With its dramatic cliffs, colorful coastal towns, and panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea, the Amalfi Coast offers a romantic and scenic escape.
- Maui, Hawaii: This Hawaiian island offers stunning beaches, lush rainforests, and picturesque sunsets, making it a perfect destination for couples seeking a tropical getaway.
- Kyoto, Japan: Known for its ancient temples, serene gardens, and traditional culture, Kyoto offers a tranquil and romantic atmosphere for couples to explore.
- Cape Town, South Africa: With its stunning coastline, vibrant culture, and breathtaking landscapes, Cape Town offers a diverse and romantic experience for couples.
- New York City, USA: The bustling cityscape, world-class dining, and iconic landmarks of New York City provide endless opportunities for couples to enjoy a vibrant and romantic urban getaway.
- Florence, Italy: This Renaissance city is filled with art, history, and romance. Couples can explore the charming streets, visit world-renowned museums, and indulge in delicious Italian cuisine.
- Seychelles: With its secluded beaches, turquoise waters, and luxurious resorts, the Seychelles offers a tropical paradise for couples seeking privacy and relaxation.
- Barcelona, Spain: This vibrant city combines stunning architecture, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine, providing a romantic and lively atmosphere for couples.
- Queenstown, New Zealand: Known as the “Adventure Capital,” Queenstown offers breathtaking landscapes, thrilling outdoor activities, and cozy alpine lodges, making it an ideal destination for adventurous couples.
Remember, the best destination for couples ultimately depends on their preferences, interests, budget and desired experiences. Whether it’s a tropical beach escape, a cultural city exploration, or an adventurous outdoor journey, there’s a perfect destination out there for every couple.
So there you have my top picks for your next romantic break as a couple. Do you have any trips planned soon? Let me know in the comments below!