Today is World Mental Health Day. So, what better topic to share about than the benefits of speaking to a mental health counselor?
Dealing with Stress and Anxiety?
What is your go-to coping mechanism for dealing with stress and anxiety? Do you seek comfort from a loved one? Or, do you exercise to get the endorphins flowing? These are both healthy ways to deal with unpleasant situations that sometimes occur in life. But, sometimes, these methods don’t quite do enough to get you on the right path for healing. At those times, you might need to take another step to regain the peace that you are so deserving of. That step could include speaking with a mental health counselor.
Opinions vary about whether or not speaking to a mental health counselor is beneficial. In fact, had you asked me several months ago, my opinion may not have been the same as it is today. Because of various events in my life, I now strongly believe that everyone can use the extra support of a mental health counselor when facing challenging matters. Dr. David Spiegel, associate chair of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Standford University said, “We’re social creatures, fundamentally, so talking to people can be a real source of support and help, but it won’t happen if you don’t give it a try” (www.fairclinicalservices.com).
Read Next: HOW TO HANDLE MENTAL HEALTH DURING STRESSFUL SITUATIONS
What are the Advantages?
Let’s take a look at 7 advantages of speaking to a mental health counselor.
- It allows you to see your thoughts from a different perspective. Verbalizing your thoughts and answering open-ended questions prompts you to think from another point of view.
- It can have a cathartic effect. People often bottle up their emotions and thoughts when dealing with high levels of stress and anxiety. Speaking to a counselor allows you to let go of burdening feelings, which might help you feel some relief.
- It allows you to confront your feelings. Speaking with a mental health counselor makes it difficult to run away from your feelings. When you talk to a counselor, you come face to face your thoughts.
- It decreases the chances of you feeling alone. Sometimes, you may be experiencing situations that you just don’t feel comfortable sharing with anyone. Speaking with a counselor gives you the freedom to talk to a neutral person without the fear of being judged or of feeling alone.
- It helps you cope with life’s issues. Speaking with a mental health counselor helps you to focus on what’s important and helps you to navigate everyday life.
- It helps to improve your physical health. When you have a clearer mind, you are able to sleep and eat better. You’re also more active and energized to deal with life. Speaking with a counselor helps you to clear your mind, which leads to overall improved health.
- It helps you become more self-aware. When you speak to a professional about your problems, it helps you to become more aware of how you are really feeling. Understanding your feelings helps you to get a better handle on yourself. It puts you in control so that you can manage your emotions.
The benefits of talking to a mental health counselor are meaningful and contribute to the quality of life that you deserve. Make sure to never lose hope or shy away from seeking therapy. You will be proud of yourself once you overcome your problems.
My mental health has been very terrible due to this pandemic but I haven’t been able to seek the care I need. Now that I filed for a leave, I think it’s time I look into my options. Thanks for telling me that a counselor can really help me know and understand myself so I can work through these issues that have been bothering me. I think that would be a good start towards healing.